Saturday, April 21, 2012

The glass ceiling of desire between capability and human good

On some lucky days, I happen to wake up before time and hence have an opportunity to sit with my parents and chat while taking sips of my coffee lazily. Those are my best mornings; better than the ones I spend in ignorant, deep slumber. My parents (and even I) have always claimed that they are spiritual, to an extent religious but not blindly superstitious in the name of religion, to which I agree by and large. Random discussions on religion prompted me ask what was the significance of tilak. My papa asked me to list the parts of human brain and the moment I said "Cerebrum"; he confirmed that it was "Neo Front Cortex" too (colloquially). After I agreed, he pointed out that humans, of all the living organisms have this cerebrum which differentiates humans from animals, who cannot "feel" or realize the pain (or for that sake happiness) of the fellow being. It's because of this cerebrum that I can see the person in front of me is sad or hungry or happy or depressed without his having told me about that. He further clarified that Tilak indicates the presence of this capability that makes us humanE BEings.
I wonder if human brain is hard wired to feel the misery of fellow beings, so that he can help them, why is it that we fail to see anyone else's problems except ours? I guess that's the gap between our capabilities to help others and our desire to do so. I wish had desire to help been hard wired in our brain instead of the capability to do so, the world would have been a better place to live in.

0 comments: