Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The paradox of rich and poor...

Today is Diwali - the most important festival of Hindus; the festival in which we pray to Goddess Lakshmi to bestow us with happiness and prosperity. And, I am one of those few fortunate people, who have their parents to ensure that all the world's happiness - the one I deserve and the one which I do not - is all mine. To celebrate Diwali with some street food I went out around 9:00 pm with a thought in the mind that we might not get much food due to early closing of shops. To my happiness, I found BTW open. I jumped out of the car and ordered food; telling mom and papa that we are fortunate enough that a decent eating outlet is open. However, while collecting my Rawa Dosa and Aaloo Tikki from them, I realized that I was taking food from some really sad people. Then, I thought, that they, like me, would have desired to celebrate Diwali with their kids, their family. That it was almost 10 pm, the time by which they should have reached home, had their dinner and should have been spending beautiful time with their family. While taking the bite of delicious tikki and dosa, I felt if I was being selfish, if I was taking advantage of belonging to so called "better off" family, if it was "my" society, if I would also become selfish when I become a full-fledged part of the corporate world.....

2 comments:

Yashna said...

That's how Life is!! The rains are never the same for everybody!!

Priya Juneja said...

I don't know... I just felt really bad :( Just because he is poor or I would say less well off than i am... I was enjoying with my family... And... they were making/serving us food... on a day when they had an equal right of enjoying with their families... :(